185th Air Refueling Wing, Iowa ANG   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air National Guard

History
185th Air Refueling Wing Badge
The 185th Air Refueling Wing of the Iowa Air National Guard is located in America's heartland at Colonel Bud Day Field in Sioux City, Iowa. The Unit was established in December 1946. The Army Air Force's 386th Fighter Squadron, flying P-47 Thunderbolts, activated in 1943, was inactivated in 1945 and re-designated the 174th Fighter Squadron and allocated to the Iowa National Guard in on May 24th, 1946. On December 2nd of that same year, the 174th was extended Federal recognition and equipped with P-51 Mustangs. The 174th is still the flying squadron at the 185th Fighter Wing. The squadron has flown single seat fighter aircraft since its inception. The component of the unit included 9 rated officers, 7 non-rated officers, and 46 enlisted members for a total of 62 members. Today, the 185th consists of nearly 1,000 traditional and full-time military as well as over 300 air technicians and state contract employees.
tabWing History 
The History of the 185th

tabANG Heritage 
tabOther History Sites 

 Inside 185th ARW

ima cornerSearch


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act