The Iowa Air National Guard offers 100% state tuition assistance for Iowa’s state universities and community colleges. Tuition assistance can also be applied to Iowa private colleges.
The first step is to contact an Air National Guard recruiter to find out if you are eligible. Initial screening will be conducted based on qualification criteria. Your recruiter will schedule you to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery or "ASVAB" test if you have not already taken it in high school and a physical exam. Once "qualified," you will look at the possible list of career fields for you to choose from.
There are plenty of great jobs for experienced military personnel. If you had an honorable discharge, you may be eligible to join the Iowa Air National Guard.
· Prior service in any branch is accepted.
· Part-time job which requires attendance at Guard drills one weekend per month and 15 days of annual training each year.
· Must be able to complete 20 years of combined service time by age 60.
· Rank is determined by grade held on separation and current unit vacancies.
· Do not need to attend basic military training again, but may have to attend an Air Force technical school if not qualified in a convertible skill. Cross-training is an option, dependent on current unit vacancies.
· Enlistment term options are one (1) year (if never been a member of the Air National Guard and qualified in Air Force Specialty Code), three (3) years or six (6) years.
You must meet certain enlistment criteria to qualify for membership in the Air National Guard. These criteria ensure that those who join have the right mental, physical and moral aptitudes to perform the tasks required for military service. General requirements include:
· AGE Must be 17 years old but have not reached age 40 for non-prior service. Consent from a parent or legal guardian is required if 17.
· CITIZENSHIP Must be a United States citizen, naturalize citizen or possess a valid INS Form I-551/I-151, Alien Registration Card.
· EDUCATION High school seniors or those with a high school diploma or a general equivalency diploma (GED) are eligible.
· MENTAL APTITUDE Must achieve a minimum score of 31 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. Must also qualify in a specific area of the ASVAB depending on occupational choice.
· PHYSICAL CONDITION Must be able to pass an initial military entrance physical exam, be in good health and meet minimum height and weight standards. Certain illnesses, past injuries or diseases may disqualify an individual for enlistment.
· MORAL CHARACTER Must meet standards which cover arrests, convictions and drug usage.
· TERM OF ENLISTMENT A NPS initial enlistment contract is for 6 years plus two in the Inactive Ready Reserves for a total of 8 years
While serving as an enlisted person, you may be eligible to apply for an officer position. You must be a college graduate and pass the Air Force Officer Qualitative Test (AFOQT) and a physical exam. You may also be required to attend a technical training school.
MSgt George Mendoza Retention Manager
MSgt Jerry Anderson Recruiting Office Supervisor
SrA Hunter East Production Recruiter
AIR BATTLE MANAGER
C2 BATTLE MGT OPRS*
CYBER SYS OPERATIONS
CYBER TRANSPORT SYS
RF TRANSMISSION SYS
GMO FLIGHT SURGEON
Public Affairs Specialist
ELEC PWR PRODUCTION*
WATER/FUEL SYS MAINT*
AIRCREW FLIGHT EQIP
ACFT HYDRAULIC SYS
ACFT MTL TECHNOLOGY
ACFT STRC MAINT*
HEALTH SVC MGT
AEROSP MED SVC
MAINT MGMT ANALYSIS
MAINT MGMT PROD
*Indicates enlisted incentive offered
Officer AFSC Classifications
Enlisted AFSC Classifications